Wednesday, September 28, 2011

OK...Who said it? Do you think it is True?

"God gave me my money. I believe the power to make money is a gift from God...to be developed and used to the best of our ability for the good of mankind. Having been endowed with the gift I possess, I believe it is my duty to make money and still more money and to use the money I make for the good of my fellow man according to the dictates of my conscience."

Where does wealth come from? What role does God play in helping you to acquire money? Who's money is it? Is it really yours or was it God's all along and he is blessing you to be the steward of it?

The man who wrote the above believed that if he failed to give charitably God would withhold His generosity and his wealth would dry up. He also believed the inverse, the wise and charitable use of money enables God to in turn bless him with more money. Does that alter your perspective on money? What would you do with your money if you too believed it was actually on loan to you and the more wisely and charitably you used it the more likely you would be blessed with more of it?

So who is this man? It was John D Rockefeller, one of the wealthiest men of his time. He had no problem blending religious belief with capitalism. He believed like many that charity and prosperity are interconnected, they feed on each other in a virtuous cycle. Do you think his advice was good?
Here is another thought to stew over. If charity contributes to prosperity then selfishness might be causing poverty. If that is true, which I believe it is, then one of the most dangerous and destructive forces in our communities is non-giving.

Want some more interesting and thought provoking statements from Mr. Rockefeller? Here is a great little video full of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments, just play nice.